6/28/2012

There is No Stigma with Stigmata

The Three Stigmata of Palmer EldritchThe Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My second Philip K Dick novel in a month...now I am really confused, scared, paranoid and unsure what is real and what is not. That is what reading Philip K Dick can do to a person.

He wrote many more novels and surely he could not have kept up this level of weirdness for all those years. These two novels (Ubik and Peter Eldritch), are pretty spectacular. Almost unreadable, but spectacular.

OK, that is an overstatement and they really are readable, but it is just that somehow he manages to make me feel like finishing it is a little bit of a slog, and I am glad when the story plays out so I don't have to read more to finish the book.

I did it again (overstated the case), I enjoyed both stories but again there is some crucial storytelling component that is just not laid on thick enough to make me really long to pick the up the book again during reading breaks.

That said, the PKD atmosphere is so thick it stays with you all day. And I am really glad I read them, but for now I have my Philip K Dick appetite satiated. But everybody in the world should read this book, that is my real recommendation.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Bob said...

So, how is your Perky Pat Layout coming along?