1/24/2011

We do not remember days, we remember moments.

I read to day that Jack LaLanne died (not the picture above).

I remember my mother watching his TV show when we lived in Kansas City way back in the early 1960's. I used the elastic stretch things she bought because of the show as stirrups on my rocking horse. And I remember him as an large biceped chap who was always happy. So he landed in the area of people who don't bother me.

Then I read this bit...
LaLanne said his two simple rules of nutrition are:
"if man made it, don't eat it", and "if it tastes good, spit it out."

He may have been a wonderful man and a great father but this is pretty hard to take.

Sooooo...in defiance to it's prescription, after a good aikido class I came home and ate some pasta (man made) with tomato sauce(man made) and Parmesan(man made) and some cheap Red wine (man made).

There may be some context the quotes but supposedly he used those phrases repeatedly. Anyway why live to 96 if you can't enjoy a meal like I had tonight.

I am not exactly sure how this relates, but I remember reading something by Ceasare Pavese about “This Business of Living” so I goggled him and found this quote...

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
Cesare Pavese


And for now at least I remember this moment of pasta, tomato sauce and wine.

I don't plan to, but if I do...tonight I die a happy man!!!
(Notice the three exclamation points)

And I ask you my anonymous reader..what can you say of This Business of Living!....?

1 comment:

Bob said...

I read that too, and thought the same thing. I thought that overall Jack was pretty inspiring though.

Lawrence taught last night (wednesday) -- so you missed some streetwise, scrotum kicking and punching good aikido.