10/18/2012

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Detective

Tonight I visited J.K. Wong Kungfu Tai Chi Academy and watched a beginner Tai Chi class. Short answer, it was good and I could see myself there.

The place was clean and no rusted swords. It too was a “Wu” style like the place I went to last week, although it was a Wu Hao style of which I am not quite sure what is the difference. BUT, it passed my first test, it looked cool. I gather the Yang style is more expressive but the teacher tonight looked pretty centered and elegant in a reserved manner.

I didn't get to meet the big kahuna, the “sifu” . But the teacher and the guy who talked to me were convincing.

It may be that this place would have more immediate and in depth analysis of your technique than Taoist tai chi. The other guys seem to have a plunge ahead and sort it out approach in the beginning. And for me that kind of feels right just now.

So I think I will continue where I am going, but remember the place I saw tonight and maybe go back there later. I felt like the Toaist Tai Chi with its modified Yang style would be a good place to start. I may be wrong but for now the informal vibe of my first try might work out now.

Of course I may be slightly influenced by the fact that JK Wong would be twice as much money a month that the system at Taoist Tai Chi. (about $90 a month paid 3 months at a time)/

Overall a good vibe though

No comments: