3/31/2010

"You What A Piece Of ME!!!"

Charlie taught Aikido tonight and we worked mostly with basic tsukipunch to the stomach) then kote-gaishi and yokomenuchi (side strike to the head) with shiho-nage and then slight ending variations. His point was that the basics of the technique stays the same no matter the variation.

During one type of shiho-nage at the point you bring uke's arm down like a sword I kept ending somehow stretched out and Charlie Sensei commented it was a common habit with me. I think it may come from the 6 to 9 months I took a fencing class my sophomore year of High School, literally decades ago. But I saw my position as the a “lunge” you use in foil fencing.

So I not only have to work out bad Aikido habits but habits from whatever I've ever done in life.

Then we finished up with two attacking one person (Ji Waza) with limited attack techniques. A really great workout but I fear I pooped out earlier than others. Still, it is a cool experience. What would you do if two people came at you menacingly? Of course this was controlled environment but if you get flustered with nice people coming at you, imagine what effect criminals would have on you.

Below is something like what we did although they are much, much better than me.

No comments: