3/13/2010

A Weak Link In My Chain Of Being?


I slept too late today, felt generally “blue” and consequently skipped Aikido class today. I think I once read an Uchi Deshi blog where he was asked "what do you do if you don't feel like going to class?" and he replied "Go to class". I thought of that advice as I skipped today, pondering my self worth and quality of moral fiber.

But, you can only do that sort of thing so long, and I finally worked up enough energy to try and fix my bicycle which was suffering from warped wheels and a rusty chain. I was not going to try and “true” my wheels no matter how many you tube videos show me how. But I figured I could replace the chain myself. I had a chain breaker from the bike I had in the 1980's but the nail that drivse the pin out of the link was just too dang big.

While the bike shop fixed my wheels I looked at chain breakers and they ranged from $13 to $25. When the wheels were done I found out they would only charge $10 labor to replace my chain, and seeing that I have not changed a chain in over 15 years (even if I should have) I used all my math skills to determine it would take a decade to get my money out of the new chain breaker.

The net result is I now have no excuse not to ride around the lake before work. Was my lack of exercise the bad chain and wheels or was that link in the chain of reasoning merely an excuse? And that leads me back to my self worth and moral fiber, dang it all!



Below a picture of a rainbow I saw this week while driving, and I realized it had been years since I either saw or noticed a rainbow. They really are quite amazing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will have to ride together this weekend, maybe after aikido practice? Maybe Sunday?

Mark said...

Excellent!