1/05/2008

Easy To Be Hard



Today we worked mostly from ai hamni katatetori and at one point we responded with sankyo. I've done this before where after the ikkyo start you lean in with your shoulder to the armpit of uke while you switch hands for sankyo. But today Sidney demonstrated it with just a shift of forward and the hands naturally switch.

I had trouble adapting and when I had a chance I asked Sidney about the difference and he insisted this way was easier.

The problem is that, while I can see when the move is done well it is easier, but when done poorly it is harder since you can't feel the move. So in this case the harder method is easier and the easier method is harder.

The clip shows yet another version of Katatetori Sankyo, so it demonstrates neither of the versions I've worked on, but it shows something of the technique

No comments: