11/20/2007

"Too Much Information!!"



Last night we worked on responses to Shomenuchi. We worked on many responses I've experienced here and at other dojos. Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Kotegaishi, Kaiten-nage. I remember shomenuchi nikkyo when I was at the Charlotte NC dojo. I guess I was not at a complete loss this time, so I'll take that as progress.

At one point Sidney was showing my partner something and I was the Nage and he kept telling me that I was giving him too much information. And that in Aikido, the effectiveness comes from NOT letting the attacker know what would happen next. A sort of psychological unbalancing.

It was really an advanced point that only an equally advanced student student could incorporate. BUT, that is what is so great about Sidney, he doesn't keep any secrets. He is a very open teacfher. And if beginners cant apply what he says at least they can see what he is talking about, and appreciate it at that level.

We hear Nage is supposed to only provide the most appropriate response depending on how Uke attacks, and perhaps the life lesson is to not enter into any situation with assumptions. Not because you will reveal too much, but simply to respond appropriately as the circumstances require. Giving too much information about what you plan to do is really assuming you know what the other person is and what they will do.

The above clip shows some Shomenuchi stuff and since I once practiced at that dojo I used it as my video example.

And in honor of Thanksgiving I offer this quote from O'Sensei...

When you bow deeply to the universe, it bows back; when you call out the name of God, it echoes inside you.



No comments: